Sunday 25 October 2009

Biosphere - Personal project


This entry might not be very relevant to any of our university work, however, I though it would be a good idea to show what I was up to during my spare time, and maybe get some feedback.

As the title states it, this post is about my ongoing personal project (one of the many unachieved-projects I have been working on for the past few years), which I have called "Biosphere". Initially, the idea came from the 1st year Game Design module, when we had to design a cooperative game, and start brainstorming for a couple of ideas. Although this particular one did not get through, I kept it aside in my mind for the following weeks, until the holidays came.

From there, and with plenty of free time on my hands (although not so much when I started working on the side), I decided to start working on it, with the idea of making it both a good exercise (improving my programming/design skills, writing various documents, etc), as well as having something not necessarily related to uni, which I could put in my port folio, and demonstrate my motivation in working in the games industry.

Biosphere is a 2D space colonization game, made in C++, which I am designing with an emphasis on architecture, modularity (having modular renderers, input systems, etc...) and reusability (the game is just a demonstration product for my engine).

Considering the small amount of uni work we are getting right now ( although some people might feel different about it), I am able to move on with my project pretty quickly, and I am quite happy with the result I am having for the moment. I do not know how it will go from there, priority being for uni work, but I will try and keep working on it as much as possible.

Anyway, for those of you who are still interested, here is the link to a blog I have set up especially for this project a couple of months ago. The blog depicts the game, contains hand-made artwork, and also has development diaries describing my progress, and the features to come. Feel free to leave comments, questions, and/or critics, that is what it is there for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment